Last Updated on by
Uber passengers have often requested for a feature to be added to the app to have the option to easily pay for family and friends.
The demand for a family-oriented payment option has soared; as a result Uber recently announced the launch of “Uber Family Profile”, a unique feature integrated within the app that allows up to 10 family members to share 1 account to request and pay for their rides.
How to Set Up Uber Family Profile:
To use the Family Profiles feature, it’s crucial to point out that Family Profiles specify that there are two types of ‘parties’:
- Family Profile ORGANIZER
- Family Profile RIDER.
What is the role of the ORGANIZER?
The ORGANIZER is in charge of billing & the setting up of the family account.
Organizers must follow these simple steps (below) to add a Family Profile Network to their Uber Account:
For the Family Profile organizer:
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Uber app. (if it’s not updated yet, make sure you so by getting the latest version of the Uber app).
- Go to Menu and choose Settings.
- Scroll down to “Add a Family Profile” and select the contacts you would like to add.
- As soon as the Family Profile rider accepts the invitation, they can begin requesting rides from their own phone using the Family Profile as their payment method.
- The cost of the trip will automatically be billed to the Uber family profile account and the organizer will receive a receipt for every ride.
For the Family Profile rider:
- Open the email invitation to Family Profiles and accept.
- The first time you ride, make sure you’re using the latest version of the app and choose the Family Profile as your default payment method.
- Once selected, request a ride as you normally would and get moving!
When a contact accepts your invitation, they are free to begin requesting rides from their own smartphone (specifying ‘Family Profile’ as their preferred payment method).
The cost of a trip will be billed to ‘Family Profile’ — the trip’s Organizer (i.e., the individual being charged) will automatically receive an emailed receipt for each ‘Family Profile’ trip.
Who are the Passengers?
Passengers are the individuals within the Family Profile Account.
To add themselves as passengers to a Family Profile Network, users must follow these steps below:
- Open up the inbound email invitation (sent from an Organizer), which invites riders to join & use Family Profiles in their Uber Account.
- Click ‘Accept’.
- Select ‘Family Profile’ as default payment method.
- Once Family Profile is selected, simply request a ride — and await your vehicle.
- The Organizer will receive a notification of your trip & associated bill to their email.
Where is Family Profiles Available?
The Uber Family Profile is currently available to all Uber passengers within the United States. It is expected to expand on a global level by 2017.