Uber Driver Requirements
Let me guess, you’re reading this post because you want to become an Uber driver but you don’t know the Uber driver requirements to meet? Well, you are at the right place. It can be a very daunting task to find all the information you need about the requirements to become an Uber driver, even on the official Uber websites.
In this post, I will go over all the necessary Uber driver requirements you need. And in no time you’ll be hitting the streets driving if you follow the instructions highlight in this post. Don’t worry; it is a very straight forward process to sign up to drive with Uber.
Below are the detailed requirements to meet in order to qualify to drive with Uber.
Uber Driver Age Requirements
- Driver must be at least 21 years old
- 3 years of driving experience is required. If you just moved to a new state, you’ll need proof of your driving history, so don’t throw away your old driver’s licence yet.
Other Uber Driver Requirements
- Vehicle insurance – You need to be on the car insurance you are using to drive for Uber
- Car registration – The vehicle has to be registered, but not necessarily in your own name.
- Driver’s Licence – You must have a valid driver’s license of the state you reside.
- SSN: Have a valid Social Security Number for a background check.
Uber Background Check
Every potential driver has to go through a background check as part of their Uber driver requirements. Typically, you need to be able to show that in the last seven years you have not had any DUI or drug-related offenses.
- You must not have any drug-related offenses, or any DUI for the past 7 years.
- No incidents involving driving without car insurance and driver’s license.
- No accidents that result to death.
- No Involvement or history of reckless driving such as car racing…
- No criminal history of any kind.
The Uber background check is conducted by a third party called Checkr and it can take a few days and up to 21 days.
Note: California residents who want to become Uber drivers CANNOT have a DUI in the past 10 years.
Uber Driver Car Requirements
However, even if you pass the background check, you need to show that you can be trusted as a driver. This means showing that you have any of the following.
The UberX vehicle requirements are:
- A 4-door sedan with 5 seats included the driver
- Year 2006 or newer model.
- In-state plates/tags
- Clean vehicles only, so no marked, taxi, or salvaged vehicles.
- Your vehicle must pass inspection
- The vehicle must be registered in the state you plan to drive, but the vehicle registration does not have to be in your name. In other words, you can use somebody else car to drive for Uber.
Uber car year requirements can vary by city. It is currently year 2006 or newer in many states.
You want to become an Uber Black driver instead? The Uber Black driver requirements are quite different.
The requirements for Uber Black are not the same as UberX and other Uber options. If you want to drive for Uber Black you need commercial insurance and required licensing, as well as registration. Another thing with Uber Black you need a more recent vehicle and obviously it has to be of black color. The Uber Black service entails their drivers to have luxury vehicles. If you want to become an Uber Black driver – here is more info on Uber Black Car Requirements.
How to Apply To Become an Uber Driver?
5 steps to complete to start driving for Uber
- Complete an Uber application which can be found here
- Get your car inspected to see if it meets uber car requirements at one of Uber inspection locations
- Make sure you submit all paperwork such as a copy of your registration, insurance, driver’s license.
- Wait for your background check results
- Start Driving – You can start driving with uber as soon as your account is approved.
If you have any questions you can join this uber forum where other uber drivers will be able to answer your questions.
What year does your vehicle have to be for Uber?
- Atlanta GA– 2006 or newer
- Portland OR – 2006 or newer
- Tampa FL – 2006 or newer
- Boston MA – 2001 or newer
- Chicago IL – 2002 or newer
- Dallas TX – 2006 or newer
- Milwaukee – 2001 or newer
- Nashville TN – 2001 or newer
- New York City NY: 2009 or Newer
- Philadelphia – 2009
- Pittsburgh PA – 2009
- LA/OC/SD and SF CA – 2001 or newer
How long does it take to get approved to drive with Uber?
After you’ve completed the Uber application and uploaded all the required documents, it shouldn’t take long. Personally, I remember I applied on a Monday, and Friday on the same week, I got activated and ready to drive.
Uber is now under a lot scrutiny and so it can take you up to two weeks. I most cases, it takes 7-10 days to get activated. Once approved to drive with Uber, they will let you know through email and a text message to the smart phone you registered.
You are on your way to share rides and make money. You just log into the Uber driver app and click on Go Online, when you are ready to drive and make extra money.
What if I don’t meet all the Uber driver requirements?
There are some reasons why you might not be approved to drive for Uber. I’ll discuss them below, and I’ll tell you what you can do to about it:
You are not old enough.
At this time, Uber only accept driver that are 21 years old. If you are not, you will just have to wait until you are 21 years of age or older or until Uber amend the age requirement.
You don’t have a Social Security Number.
If you don’t have a social security number, Uber will not let you drive, there’s no way of conducting a background check without this number.
You failed the background check.
Uber has a strict policy on criminal history. If you have a past criminal history, you’ll have to wait until your conviction is more than 7 years old. Uber only check your background for the past 7 years. Unfortunately there isn’t much you can do about it other than to wait it out.
Your car doesn’t meet the criteria.
If your car doesn’t meet the uber car requirements, Uber won’t let you drive, they have an image to save. Your car must be 2006 or newer. List of best cars for uber can be found here.
You don’t have the required in-state credentials.
You must have a valid driver’s license, vehicle registration and car insurance. If you don’t have these documents, then get them.
To apply to join the Uber force, if you think that you will pass the Uber driver requirements, you simply need to apply here. Uber is now offering up to $,1000 sign on bonus to new drivers.